When it comes to cryptocurrency, only Bitcoin is bigger than Ethereum. It has established itself as a key player in this growing market with more than a million transactions taking place every day.
It makes sense, therefore, that you will want to get your hands on some and, since you’re here, you’re probably wondering how you can get some free money, right?
Ethereum faucets and how they work
Just as with bitcoin, there are sites called ‘faucets’ that dispense free Ethereum to users. These are sites that ‘pay’ for your attention by giving out small amounts of free Ethereum.
Why do they do this? Well, the more people they can get on their site – and the longer they stay – the more ad revenue they can make. You’re getting a share of that ad money in return for providing the audience they need to make the cash in the first place. While you’re there, you might be asked to complete small tasks, interact with ads, complete captchas or even do surveys, games or quizzes.
Best free Ethereum sites
These are some of the best faucets , apps and sites that offer you the chance to earn free Ethereum:
- Idle Empire: Register for this site (you can sign up through Google, Facebook, Twitter and other social accounts) and you’ll be able to earn free Ethereum from watching online videos, taking surveys and completing offers. The variety of methods makes this a good all-round choice and its half a million users have been paid more than $1.2 million so far, with Bitcoin, cash and gift cards also up for grabs if you prefer.
- Earn Crypto: Another good all-round site, with chance to fill in surveys, play games and watch videos to get free Ethereum. You’ll also earn more by referring your friends.
- CryptoPop: Love to while away your free time by playing games on your smartphone? This game, available on the Google Play store allows you to earn free Ethereum from your playing exploits. It’s simple and addictive – you just group coins together to earn points and blast your way to the moon.
- Free Ethereum Spinner: Another fun app you can download and use to try to earn free Ethereum. Watch videos or complete simple tasks to replenish your energy and give you more goes on the spinner. Instant payments can be made straight into your Coinbase wallet.
- Faucet Crypto: Complete some basic tasks, watch some ads or answer some questions to earn free crypto. Ethereum is one of the 20 cryptocurrencies supported on this site.
- Fire Faucet: The more tasks you complete, the higher level you achieve – and the better bonus you can earn. There are no popups here either, so all the ads are non-intrusive, creating a nicer user experience than some competitors.
- ETH Invites: As the name suggests, you just need to invite friends to join this project and then you’ll earn some free Ethereum. Simple, but effective.
- FreeFaucet.io: There’s a good range of faucets to pick from here – including paid-to-click adverts, surveys, email blasts and geofaucets.
Alternative ways to get free Ethereum
These sites are probably the easiest and most common way to get your hands on free Ethereum, but they aren’t the only way. Here’s some other things to try:
It is possible to earn Ethereum by helping with the process of ‘mining’ – the name given to the process of verifying transactions. Complete checks and you’ll get free coins as a reward for your efforts.
You will need some decent computing kit to carry this off – either a graphics processing unit (GPU) or an application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC). You can use programs such as:
It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to pull this off by yourself – unless you spend a lot of money in the first place – so the best thing to consider is joining a mining pool. These are groups of people working together on the task of mining – sharing the spoils of their collective efforts. Ethereum mining pools to consider joining include:
One of the oldest and best performing mining pools of its kind.
A mining pool with a strong list of commercial partners.
Simple-but-effective platform with regular payouts.
Airdrops are offers that dish out free cryptocurrency users in order to spread awareness, adoption and increase advertising about a product or service.
These are often time-limited offers that require you to complete a small task – sharing a post on social media, following an account etc – in return for your free crypto.
As an established cryptocurrency, there might be fewer opportunities for free Ethereum in this way, but there are a few sites you can regularly check out for the latest offers.
We’d recommend that you take a look at:
If you’re interested in how to get free Ethereum, you might also like to check out the rest of our cryptocurrency content. We also have article you might be interested in covering:
- Cashback deals